When it was built in 1616, the square was named Prinsenmarkt, after Prinsengracht. The city council decided in 1620 to look for a place where a small church could be founded: the choice fell on the Prinsenmarkt. The first stone of the Noorderkerk - built by the town carpenter Hendrick Staets - was laid on June 15th, 1622 and in use on April 16th, 1623. After the completion of the Noorderkerk in 1623, the name Noordermarkt replaced the name given by the city council.
The Church is an example for many Protestant worship, which were built in the Republic. The floor has the shape of a Greek cross, with small triangles in the cross arms. The interior makes a powerful impression by the four heavy pillars, which the high vaults. Originally there was a graveyard around the Church: the Northern Cemetery. This cemetery was moved to Haarlem in 1688.
The pots market was next to the cemetery of the Noorderkerk and came by a decision in 1627 a rag market. Nowhere did the craftsman and his wife feel more at ease than in this place. Comparable to a large open counter, the Noordermarkt was held all week. The market in these early times is very popular with the locals and especially the women went to 'turn patches' on Monday. The market square also remains a Center for the pigeons trade, particularly conveniently located for those who love out of Jordan. Since 1703 old hats and caps were allowed to be sold and the straw market was moved to the Noordermarkt.